But if the world could remain within a frame like a painting on a wall, then I think we'd see the beauty, then we'd stand staring in awe.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Tourist in New York City: FAO Schwarz

So, it's February. There's the polar vortex going on and I am getting the impression that we are about to enter the next ice age. Or, New York is actually having a "real" winter this year, because last year, when it was cold from November through May, that was not a "real" winter. That was a "light" winter.

As a girl from the desert, I say: Fuck this.

Two Saturdays before Christmas, whenever that was, I ventured out into one of the first--of many--snowstorms of the season to spend my night at FAO Schwarz.

"Go before Christmas," a friend said to me. "See the kids. It's still magical for them, and it'll rub off on you a little."

So I did.


When I first walked inside, I was slightly disappointed that it was not an exact replica of Duncan's Toy Chest from Home Alone 2. I was hoping to find some turtle doves. Although, aside from the screaming and sporadic cries that were kind of jarring in a city that makes you forget children exist, walking into FAO Schwarz was pretty incredible. 



There were so many toys! (Obviously.)



My inner child squealed a little when I saw the life-like baby dolls. They even come with a birth certificate, and an FAO Schwarz employee dresses up as a nurse and invites the children to sit in a rocking chair and hold the dolls.  

There were infinite sets of Legos and impressive Lego sculptures.




Lego Statue of Liberty was the most popular. (Again, obviously.)


She's a popular lady at FAO.


There's a Build-a-Bear:


A rock place:


Party dresses (again, something I would have loved):


This guy:


A totally practical crystal-encrusted Etch A Sketch:


And candy bars the size of an adult forearm:


I have to admit, in the midst of my exploring, I indeed forgot about how much I am not in love with this city, how hard everything is, and how horrible the weather was outside. I was carefree; I was in a toy store. 

The main thing I wanted to see, something I thought was just in Big and wasn't real, was the piano. 



It's real! And I was happy. 

I left FAO Schwarz and walked down Fifth Avenue. I wasn't sure where I was trying to go, but just felt happy and like walking in the snow. 


After walking a few blocks, surrounded by tourists--people who usually annoy me--who were so excited to be in New York, to see Saks and Bergdorf and all the other places I don't care about, I decided to be a happy tourist, too. It seemed more fun than someone who is run down by New York.  So, I went to the Rockefeller Center. 




Although the thick wall of people was overwhelming and stressful, it really is an impressive tree. 


A nice view of the Empire State Building on my way home completed my snowy night as a tourist. 


In the end, my friend was right. It's nice sometimes to be around people who have magic that you've forgotten. Santa is bringing toys; dresses are pretty; baby dolls are cute; New York is exciting. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment